Why Choose Wood?
Wood: The Environmentally Friendly Choice
For instance, did you know?
- Wood is natural, organic, renewable, nontoxic, recyclable and bio-degradable. Turning a tree into sawn wood or veneer
requires less energy and produces less pollution compared to the large amounts of electricity and heat needed to produce other materials. Emissions
of carbon dioxide (CO2), methane, and other gases are also greater during the production of substitute building materials. For example, CO2 emissions
are 3 times greater when producing steel.
- Wood is natural, it is a raw material found in great quantities all around the world. Over 1/3 of the Earth's land surface is covered
- Wood is organic. Healthy and growing trees absorb carbon dioxide and release pure oxygen.
- Wood is renewable, more and more trees are planted all the time. Trees need only light, water, some nutrients, air and time in order
to grow. In the U.S. alone, about 4 million seedlings are planted every day! In Indonesia, for example, over 1 million acres are reforested
annually. All the timber used in the making of our teak furniture is cultivated from plantations controlled by the governmental agency Perhutani State Forestry to ensure reforestation and the protection of rain forests vital to the world's ecosystem. Fossil fuels, like coal and oil, take millions of years to replace. Metals, cement, plastics and brick are not renewable.
- Wood is non-toxic. In its natural form, it does not release any toxic gases or fumes into the atmosphere.
- Wood is recyclable, it can be re-used and re-worked and put into different shapes and sizes over and over. A single piece of wood
can be utilized many times before it loses its properties and usefulness. And, wood is still the major source of fuel in many parts of the world.
- Wood is bio-degradable, it will de-compose on its own and return to the earth's cycle.
Research done all over the world demonstrates that specifying wood will save energy and reduce CO2 emissions.
- AND, let's not forget that wood is just plain beautiful, especially TEAK!
Compliments of Wood-Joy